Wednesday, June 30, 2010

You can find it in the Target parking lot

I'm in Denver again interviewing for a job at one of Denver's trauma centers and doing more work at National Jewish. I'm trying to study 140-some patients who have a cavitary form of Mycobacterium avium complex lung infection, a bacteria like TB. This bacteria slowly eats away at the lungs over years and it's thought that 10-20 people in every 100,000 may have some form of this disease. Asthma occurs in about 1000 in every 100,000 people, giving you some perspective. TB occurs in about 4 in every 100,000 in the United States. I'm having computer data problems which is slowing me down but that's not what the blog is about tonight. It's about the Target parking lot.

I'm staying at the Staybridge Suites hotel, a subsidiary of Holiday Inn, having a stove, freezer and refrigerator and a couch for my comfort. It is not quite in the suburbs but it's hard to tell. Thus when I asked about a good place to eat I was directed to Applebee's, "in the Target parking lot." When I asked at the front desk if I could work out somewhere they directed me to the 24 Hour Fitness Center in the Target parking lot, and when I wanted some Pepcid for my stomach I discovered that there was a Walgreens, yes, in the Target parking lot. There is a SuperTarget in the Target parking lot, a store that not only has the red decor and array of goodies that a normal parking lot, sorry, Target has, but also this Target has a grocery store and indeed has a HUGE parking lot. Not only is there the above establishments but there is also a sporting goods store, a KFC, a Wendys, a gun shop and a strip bar. All in the Target parking lot. Just ask the front desk.

The Target parking lot is also the hottest place in Denver, in my opinion, or the world. It is bigger than a few football fields and it's newly covered in black top making it kind of a tar pit in the 96 degree sun. There were dead people in the far regions of this lot, clasping their doggy bags from Applebee's. I saw a mirage as I was crossing to the 24 Hour Fitness and before embarking to Walgreen's I left my driver's license and contact information with the front desk for fear that I might not return. I asked my friends Tim and Ginny to inform my family if someone found me dead in the Target parking lot. I have never crossed a desert, I've just gone to get some tennis balls in the Target parking lot. "Make sure you have enough water, sir!"









No comments:

Post a Comment